Before you go ahead and setup an Instagram profile, you need to first of all decide exactly what goals and objectives you want to achieve from the platform, and the results you want your business to achieve .
There’s a lot you can accomplish on Instagram, and you can choose to have several goals. However, these goals must be compatible in order to successfully implement them on the same account. For example, if you want to use Instagram to listen for brand mentions and sales opportunities, a different marketing strategy is used than if you want to use Instagram for market research. If you have different goals like these, it’s best to simply setup more than one Instagram account.
Following is a comprehensive list of some of the goals you can achieve on Twitter:
- Develop an engaged and targeted network.
- Build relationships with your target audience.
- For market research to get insights into your target audience.
- Drive qualified traffic to your website.
- Establish brand recognition.
- Generate new leads for your business.
- Increase sales.
- Connect with your target audience on a personal level.
- To promote a new product or event.
- Share information with your existing customers about a particular product or service.
- Engage and strengthen relationships with existing customers.
- Create viral photos and videos.
- Monitor your brand’s reputation in real time.
Your SMART Objectives
Once you have defined your goals, it’s time to get more specific. Objectives are the specific, measurable results that you want to achieve on the platform within a defined time frame. For example: “Initiate three meetings through Twitter with potential customers over the next two months” is much more specific and meaningful than “Generate leads from Twitter.”
The process begins with setting SMART objectives. SMART objectives are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-constrained.
- Specific:Your objectives should be clearly defined, unequivocal and specific to the results you want. For instance, go deeper than “increase brand awareness” to “increase brand awareness by 10% in the next six months via a targeted Instagram marketing campaign aimed at newly qualified accountants resident in the UK.”
- Measurable:It is crucial that you are able to effectively track and analyse the results of your objectives on Instagram to see if you were effective. This is why having a specific objective is important, because it will clearly show whether results were met.
- Attainable and Realistic:It is very important to set objectives that are achievable and realistic. Your objectives should be challenging and make you stretch, but not to the point that they are practically impossible to achieve. For example “achieving a CTR of 20%” isn’t realistic. Your goal of 0.25% conversion may be more plausible so consider what’s feasible when setting your objectives.
- Relevant:Relevant objectives are those that further the aims of what you are trying to accomplish as a company. For example, successfully getting 1000 connections is not relevant if those connections are people who are not in your target market.
- Time Constrained:This involves grounding goals within a time frame, and giving them a target date. A time-constrained goal is intended to establish a sense of urgency. A commitment to a deadline will help focus your efforts on completion of the goal on or before the due date.
Your objectives should also include the means by which your ultimate goals will be met. For example, if your ultimate goal is to increase traffic to your website by 150% in the upcoming month, your objectives are the steps that must be taken on Twitter in order for that goal to be realized.
Setting an objective begins with identifying intent. Next, make it specific by adding a number, percentage, increase/decrease and a date.
Examples of the types of objectives to use in a Twitter marketing campaign:
- Add 1000 targeted Instagram followers to brand account by December 2014.
- Increase traffic from Instagram to my website by 150% within 3 months.
- Start 5 conversations per month with potential customers that contain late-stage buying indicators.
- Increase conversions from Instagram users by 200% within six months.
- Generate 25 qualified leads per month from Instagram.
- By setting clear and specific goals and objectives, you’ll be able to define a clear line of action on how you’ll set about achieving those goals on Instagram.