Social media marketing is now part of everyday life, and is a powerful asset to business. It has given business owners endless opportunities to connect with existing customers, reach new prospects, and build online communities.
Engagement with your fans is the single most important activity required for success of your social media marketing campaign. If you do not have a strategy in place for how you will engage your followers, your social marketing campaign will not generate meaningful results.
What is Social Engagement?
In the world of social media, engagement is the process by which you engage in two-way conversations with your followers. Getting people to follow you on your social media channels is just a start.
For social media marketing to actually be effective for your business, you need to understand why people convert from followers into customers, and incorporate this into your social media strategy.
Fans or followers are worthless unless you know what to do with them.
Just because you have 50,000 fans or followers does not mean you have a successful social media campaign or you’ll see a sudden boost in your revenues.
Even though having a large social network is great for social proof, you have to convert those followers into customers for them to make a difference to your bottom line.
It is worthwhile to consider what you should be doing in general in order to effectively engage your audience.
Here are examples of social interactions that count as engagement:
- Demonstrating how much you value your customers by listening to what they have to say about your products or services, and using this information to improve those products or services;
- Showing that you’re real;
- Providing plenty of opportunities for your audience to share their opinions ;
- Engaging in conversations;
- Sharing content that is relevant and useful or meaningful to your target audience.
- Responding to likes, shares of your content and comments (both negative and positive);
- Stimulating conversations without pushing your products or services or engaging in traditional marketing tactics;
- Actively participating in the community by liking, commenting and sharing other people’s content;
- Being consistent in your social media activities. People feel emotionally involved with you, your business, and your brand when they believe that you’ll be with them for a long period of time.
- Nurturing an environment where your audience perceives you as an expert or authority in your niche.
- Creating an environment where your audience trusts you enough to want to do business with you.
Social media offers various opportunities to interact and engage with your audience – customers and potential customers – on many different levels. Online, “engagement” means making contact on a truly one-to-one basis – beginning the dialog, creating meaningful relationships, and encouraging conversions.